Information about Mister Maker
4-6 year olds
Mister Maker is an arts and crafts programme for children aged four to six. It’s fast, funny and full
of easy-to-copy activities. The presenter is a performance artist who creates lots of different
pictures and sculptures using everything from recycled washing-up bottles to leaves and twigs.
Each episode showcases a minute make, where Mr Mister Maker has to beat the clock to finish
a work of art. He also creates a huge picture in the studio using real children. The show mixes
live action with animation to bring the world of art to life.
- Mister Maker – A performance artist who presents the show, wearing brightly coloured clothes
and often talking nonstop! He is inspiring, great fun and loves coming up with new ways of using
paint and glue!
- The Shapes – A triangle, rectangle, square and circle who jump about (I am a shape) and
encourage children to think about different forms.
Mister Maker helps children to:
- Get excited about craft and making things.
- Differentiate between different shapes and colours.
- Use their imagination to invent ways of using everyday items to make things.
- Learn about different artistic techniques and vocabulary.
- Develop hand-eye co-ordination by making things at home they’ve seen on the show.
- Use fine motor skills when making things at home.
Website benefits and summary
Choose from 12 of Mister Maker’s makes to recreate at home. Each one has video, instructions and a pdf to print out. By extending the arts and crafts experience at home, children can get messy and have fun while also benefiting educationally. When you do the makes with your child, talk about different shapes and colours, let them have a go at tricky tracing or cutting (with safety scissors) to boost their confidence in their hand-eye co-ordination and fine motor skills, and encourage them to come up with new ideas for makes. There are also video clips to watch of the Shapes and a big kids picture.